Sunday, November 4, 2007

PDA Software for Teachers

Each PDA comes with some tools to complete basic tasks such as a calendar, contact/address software, task lists, calculator, a memo function, and possibly more. However, the fun really begins when you start downloading software to personalize your PDA for your own needs and interests. As I prepared for this blog entry, I found myself getting off-task several times looking at a multitude of available downloads that I would love to have. No doubt you will do the same.

One site that I particularly like is Handango which is well organized and allows you to search by PDA type and/or by interest. One such category is Education and also breaks down into several subcategories including teachers and students. This site also provides many free trial versions which allows you to test the software to verify that it will truly meet your needs. I utilized this option recently with a 30-day free trial of a “Teacher Tool” which I plan to purchase as it has been very useful in tracking/documenting student behaviors in my classroom. Basic features include the ability to create/review a list of students, performance notes, student/parent contact information, incident records including warnings.

Another site that offers great tools and downloads for teachers is Hands High Software. I found a free trial version of “Participate” which provides an easy way to track (adding or subtracting) participation points for your students. I have provided a few more links below that I thought would be useful to teachers, but have fun searching on your own to find the tools that will work for you. And please leave me comments and links of any more sites and tools that will make our teaching tasks easier.

Handmark – offers a variety of software easily organized by PDA type
Download Pipe – can download manuals for various software (i.e. Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
MemoWare – free ebooks; browse by category

No comments: